2XX response codes

Gonzalo <gonzalo@...>

Hi all,

I'm receiving 207 (read-only resource) codes from my
application server and those responses are treated as Exceptions, as
if they were 4xx or 5XX errors.

I think that full 2XX code range should be treated the same way... (no
RestClient::Exception)
What do you think? I'm pretty new to software development and maybe
I'm wrong.

Thanks for your comments.
Best regards.

Gonzalo.

Archiloque <code@...>

I think you are right, I think we just miss this code because it isn't in the the standard http response list, I'll add it for the next release

A.

Le 24 mai 2010 à 21:07, Gonzalo a écrit :

Hi all,

I'm receiving 207 (read-only resource) codes from my
application server and those responses are treated as Exceptions, as
if they were 4xx or 5XX errors.

I think that full 2XX code range should be treated the same way... (no
RestClient::Exception)
What do you think? I'm pretty new to software development and maybe
I'm wrong.

Thanks for your comments.
Best regards.

Gonzalo.

Gonzalo <gonzalo@...>

I A,

Cool! It is great to hear that. Right now, we have to grab 207 with
the Exception clause and repeat some standard code there. But we 'll
remove that hack when next rest-client is released.

It would be nice if there were some kind of mechanism so we could
enable the standard handling for codes higher than 207. I'm sure this
feature will be nice for many people that use 2XX codes as server

Thanks for all!
Best regards,
Gonzalo.

On May 24, 2010, at 9:30 PM, Archiloque wrote:

I think you are right, I think we just miss this code because it
isn't in the the standard http response list, I'll add it for the
next release

A.

Le 24 mai 2010 à 21:07, Gonzalo a écrit :

Hi all,

I'm receiving 207 (read-only resource) codes from my
application server and those responses are treated as Exceptions, as
if they were 4xx or 5XX errors.

I think that full 2XX code range should be treated the same way...
(no
RestClient::Exception)
What do you think? I'm pretty new to software development and maybe
I'm wrong.

Thanks for your comments.
Best regards.

Gonzalo.

Archiloque <code@...>

By exception clause do you mean a begin/rescue ?

Because you can use a block to change the code behavior for non standard return code, see the "Result handling" section of the documentation :

# handle the 207 case, won't be necessary in next version
RestClient.get('http://my-rest-service.com/resource'){ |response, &block|
if response.code == 207
p '207, yeah !'
response
else
response.return! &block
end
}

And it seems to fill the needs you described

A.

Le 24 mai 2010 à 21:56, Gonzalo a écrit :

[...]

I'll give a look to the documentation, but the thing you've described
seems to do the job!
Many thanks for the tip!

Regards,
Gonzalo.